Nutritional Fact Of Papaya Seeds Papaya seeds are an excellent source of nutrients such as phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, fibre, protein and antioxidants . They are high in fat and contain monounsaturated fatty acids including oleic acid.
Health Benefits Of Papaya Seeds
1. Fight intestinal parasites A study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food found that air-dried papaya seeds with honey have a significant effect on human intestinal parasites . Another study has shown that papaya seed extract can help fight against three strains of fungi which cause yeast infections . This is because papaya seeds are said to contain proteolytic enzymes.
2. Prevent the growth of cancer cells The antioxidant content in papaya seeds has been shown to have anticancer properties. A study showed the effectiveness of papaya seed extract in preventing the growth of cancer and reducing inflammation  . Another study found that black papaya seeds can help in reducing the progression of prostate cancer cells
3. Aid in liver detoxification The seeds of the papaya prevent the free radicals from entering and attacking the liver cells. The seeds aid in generating new liver cells and have the ability to eliminate the dead tissues without altering the activity of the healthy cells, thanks to the presence of myrosinase, an enzyme that activates the cytochrome P 450 isoenzyme in the liver.
4. Improve digestive health Papaya seeds have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which play a crucial role in the digestive system. Study shows that papaya seed extract is very effective in killing E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus and other bacterial infections in the digestive system. The same study mentions the effectiveness of aqueous seed extract of papaya in preventing stomach ulcers.
5. Prevents kidney damage Papaya seeds can prevent kidney damage caused by drug-induced nephrotoxicity. Nephrotoxicity is a common kidney problem that occurs when the kidneys are exposed to the drugs or toxins which eventually harm them. According to a study, papaya seeds contain nephroprotective phytochemicals that are useful in preventing kidney damage caused by drugs like paracetamol .
6. Prevent constipation As papaya seeds contain a good amount of fibre, they help in preventing constipation. Fibre works by moving through the intestines in the gastrointestinal tract, adding bulk to your stool to promote regularity. And studies have shown that an increased intake of fibre helps in increasing stool frequency in people suffering from constipation .
Risks Of Consuming Papaya Seeds
1. Have antifertility effects The main bioactive compound benzyl isothiocyanate (BITC) in papaya seeds has been shown to be responsible for the antifertility effects. This compound is efficient enough to damage the endometrium, making the uterus non-receptive and thus, affecting the implantation  . Papaya seed extract also reduced sperm count and sperm motility in men.
2. Damage the DNA Consuming an excess amount of papaya seeds can be harmful to your body. The presence of benzyl isothiocyanate (BITC) in papaya seeds causes significant damage to DNA and has a toxic effect on healthy cells . How To Eat Papaya Seeds Scoop out the seeds from papaya and wash them properly. Air dry them in a paper towel or dry them in the sun. Once the seeds are moisture-free, grind them and store them in an air-tight container in a dark place. You can use the powdered seeds as a substitute for black pepper or add them in salad dressings. How Much Papaya Seeds Should You Eat In A Day It is advisable to eat a teaspoon of papaya seeds a day; increasing the amount could lead to side effects.